The Load Type is what dictates the duration of an appointment.
Before creating a Load Type, it is important to think about how long your appointments usually take and the best way to categorize them into groups.
Here are a few common examples we see our clients use to determine the duration of the appointment:
- Equipment Type: Van, Dry, Reefer, Bulk, Flatbed, Tanker, LTL
- Pallet Count
- Carton Count
For example: LTL appointments tend to only take 15 minutes, but FTL might take 60 minutes.
We highly recommend starting with only a couple of Load Types initially and adding to the list at a later date.
How to Create a Load Type:
1) Go to: Load Types > Add New Load Type
2) Add a title (required): This is the name that will be displayed in the list of options when you or a carrier is scheduling an appointment. You're welcome to include the duration of the appointment in the title. For example: Outbound-LTL (60 minutes).
3) Allow Carriers to See: Select 'YES' to make sure your carriers will see this Load Type as an option when scheduling an appointment.
4) Duration: Select the length of time for this Load Type's appointments. We highly recommend sticking with 15 or 30 minute increments to reduce complexity.
5) Type: Select "load type'.
Warning: Please speak to your On-Boarding Representative to help you create an Add-on Service. It is used to allow carriers to add additional services to the appointment to potentially add more time to an appointment and cannot be booked as a stand alone service.
6) Click the "Add" button at the bottom.
7) This Load Type will be assignable to all existing Docks.
How to Deactivate a Load Type:
Warning: To ensure data integrity, it is not recommended to delete a Load Type after there are appointments associated with it. Instead of deleting the Load Type, we recommend deactivating it by no longer offering it for each dock (see below). Be sure to always make additive, not invasive, changes to your account.
1) Go to: Load Types > Select the Load Type
2) Update the Title to let users know that the Load Type has been deprecated. For example: "Outbound (Do Not Use)".
2) Allow Carriers to See: Select 'NO' to make sure your carriers will no longer see this Load Type as an option when scheduling an appointment. Click the 'Update' button at the bottom of the page.
3) Next, go to: Docks > Select a Dock
4) Go to Load Types Offered on the left menu and deselect the load type that is no longer being offered. Click "update" to save your changes.
5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 above for each dock that is offering the deprecated Load Type.
Test your changes!
Note: Always test your changes by clicking the "Carrier View" button on the top right corner of the page and clicking "Preview It!". This will allow you to see what the carriers will see when they book an appointment with your warehouse.
Next up! Let's create a Dock!