As you are setting up your Appointment booking account, you should review and customize the profile details that you will capture and save for your Customers. In this article, we'll discuss the configuration options.
Customer Profile Fields
The Customer profile can be customized in order to collect important details about each of your Customers. Customization of the fields displayed and/or required to be filled out for new Customers is made through the Preferences > Fields/Terms page.
In addition to personalizing the information you collect, you can also control which users can edit data associated with Customer profiles. For example, you may need your Staff Members to set a field for office use only, while Customers can manage their address or contact information. Following is information on how you can customize or restrict fields from being editable by your Customers.
Field Display Settings
A Headquarters or Location Administrator may modify the display and name preferences for the Customer profile fields. When viewing the Preferences > Fields/Terms page, you'll see a series of text and dropdown fields that define if the field is viewable, editable or required. Additionally, you can modify the label associated with each field to help your Customers understand the information to enter into or select from each field.
There are three areas of the system you can modify independently:
- Registration: The settings in this column will define what the Customer will see and/or be prompted to complete in order to create their profile using the Customer View booking application.
- Customers: The settings in this column define the profile fields that are displayed when one of your administrative users, or Staff Members, is creating a new Customer directly into the system from the Customers > Add New Customer page.
- Appointments: The settings in this column identify the profile fields that will display on the Customer section of the Make Appointment Window, which you open either from the calendar.
For each of the areas, you'll want to understand the difference between the display preferences:
- By choosing this option for any Field in any of the three areas, the field will not be displayed to the user.
- To require that a field contain information, choose this setting for any of the three areas. The user will not be able to create a profile or book an Appointment without first entering information in any required fields.
- In order to collect optional information (which doesn't prevent an Appointment from being created), you should choose this setting. The field will display and the user will be able to enter information, but empty fields will not impact the completion of any action.
- View Only
- You may decide that some information should be available to read, but not be edited by a specific user. By choosing this option, any information that exists for this field for the specific Customer will be readable but not editable.
Once you have determined the display settings, you can also choose to customize how the field is presented to users. You can further personalize the Customer profile by editing the Display Name, add help text to any field or change the order in which the fields display.
- Display Name: The label for the given field that will be visible to Customers, administrators or Staff Members. The system default label is already displayed in this field, but you can personalize it for your users.
- Example: Maybe you use "Surname" instead of "Last Name" for your Customer Profiles. You may modify this label in this area of the page.
- Tool Tip Help Text: Optional information can be added to help users understand how to complete a form field. When you have saved information in the tool tip field, the blue question mark () will display with that field. When a user hovers over this question mark, they will read the help text you entered and saved.
- Sort Order: The display order of the available fields. The system defaults for these values may be changed if you want to prompt the user to complete information in a different order.
- Example: You may decide you want your user to enter the Last Name before the First Name. You would change the sort order for the Last Name field to have a lower numerical value than the First Name field.
NOTE: These configuration do not impact the saving of data, only the visual presentation of the data. If you are using Web Services or an API to integrate with the system, the data would be retrievable from the Field value (left-most column), not the Display Name.
Other Customer Fields
Outside of the recommended demographic data fields (name, address, contact information), you are able to utilize additional fields within the system to capture or identify your Customers. For a definition of other Customer profile fields, please read our Customer Fields Definitions article.
You may find that some fields are set up to use a dropdown selection list. This allows your Customers to select from a predefined set of values that you configure in your account. Fields that support a customized dropdown list are:
- Customer Type ID
- Heard Via
NOTE: The options for these fields are maintained in the Lists tab area in the AppointmentPlus Classic application.
Field Information in Other Languages
You may have users or administrators of your system that have a preference for display language. With the support for multiple languages, you may need to enter information into the Display Name or Tool Tip fields for the other available languages.
On the Fields and Terms page, a dropdown field for Language is available. The default selection for this field is English. Any field in the English language that contains information for the Customer field will display here. If profile fields in English are blank, you may enter information in those fields to complete the user's profile. Save any changes or, upon switching languages, you'll be prompted to Save and Switch.
To select a different Language, click on English and choose another language option. The page will update to display the field list in the selected language. The fields will initially display with the English information, but you may edit the Display Name and/or Tool Tip Help Text fields for the new language.
When you have completed entering information for the current language, Save changes.
Repeat this process for additional languages as needed for this user.
Article published January 15, 2019
Supports Single and Multiple Appointments versions - Available on all pricing tiers