The Point of Sale (POS) Plug-In is used to process sales transactions within Site Administration of AppointmentPlus. Once enabled, you can access the plugin by clicking on the POS tab in the Navigation Bar of your account, or by clicking on the POS link below the calendars on the Appointment Grid.
How to enable POS
1. Select the The Marketplace link at the top of Site Administration
2. Select Accounting from the category drop down list
3. Select the Enable link within the Point of Sale (POS) section
4. Select the Enable button within the Point of Sale (POS) section of the Marketplace
How to integrate Credit Card processing
To integrate credit card processing into the POS system, you have to have an account with an online credit card processor. These processors are known as "gateways." The most popular and recommended gateway provider is: Payscape.
The gateway processors that currently work with the system are:
- Authorize.net - depending on the merchant processor, may be used for payment transactions outside the USA.
- Cayan (USA ONLY) - allows you to use credit card capture for later use (requires Merchant Warehouse merchant account)
- PayPal (International) - only allows payments to be made through the Customer View interface.
- Payscape - allows you to use credit card capture for later use. Supports payments in the following currencies:
- US Dollar
- Canadian Dollar
- Great Britain Pounds
- Australian Dollar
- Japanese Yen
- Swiss Franc
- Danish Krone
- Hong Kong Dollar
- Norwegian Krone
- New Zealand Dollar
- Swedish Krona
- South African Rand
With the exception of PayPal, If you have one of the merchant accounts listed above, you can enter the credentials into the “Customer Payments” section of Preferences (the POS section of that Customer Payments page).
GO TO: Settings tab > Customer Payments
How to create a sales transaction
Here are the steps to follow to create a sales transaction:
- Once you are in the POS system, select the Sales Rep. You can define the Sales Rep as being the person creating the sales transaction or the person who provided the service. You can change the label of this field to be something other than "Sales Rep" via the Terms section of Preferences.
- Select the customer. When you do this, the page refreshes and presents you with one or more drop down lists. The lists include:
- Products (will only display if you have added a product or gift certificate)
- Product Categories (will only display if you have added at least 1 product category)
- Services (will only display if you have added at least 1 service)
- Packages (will only display if the Packages feature is enabled)
- Tips (will only display if you have add at least 1 product defined as a tip)
- You would then select at least 1 item from one of the drop down lists.
- Once you do this, the page refreshes and lists the item. You can then edit the price of it and the quantity. Once you do that, click on the Add button to add it to the sales transaction.
- You may then add more items to the transaction in the same manner. There is no limit to the number of items you can have on one sales transaction.
- If there is a discount or coupon associated with the transaction, you would then either select it from the Select Coupon drop down list or you can add a discount on-the-fly by entering the Discount Description and Amount in the fields labeled as such. For a coupon to be in the Select Coupon drop down, it must be added via the Add New Coupon link in the POS section. Adding a coupon is described below.
- If you selected a coupon or typed in a discount and added it, it will then calculate and display the a subtotal (the sales amount less the discount), any applicable taxes, and the amount due.
- You would then select a payment method from the Select Payment Method drop down. Adding methods to this list is described below.
- You have the ability to override the amount due value. This would be done in situations in which the customer is not paying the full amount due or if the customer is paying part of the amount with one payment method and part with another payment method.
- You may then enter any notes related to the transaction.
- To finalize the transaction, click on the "Finalize Transaction" button. The system then saves the sales transaction and displays a printable receipt. If you have integrated credit card processing into your site, there would be an additional button displaying next to the Finalize Transaction button. That button is labeled "Process Credit Card" Payment. If you click on that button, it prompts you for the customer's credit card information (billing name, billing address, credit card number, expiration date, etc.). Once you enter that information and click on the Finalize Transaction button, the system will automatically process the credit card, save the sales transaction, and display a printable receipt. How to integrate credit card processing is explained below.
NoteTo have a Merchant Warehouse representative contact you about a gateway, sign up here. A representative will contact you within 48 hours.
Once you have your gateway account, you can enter your account information it the Customer Payments section of Preferences. This section is divided into 4 sections: Gift Certificates, Appointments, POS, and Packages. Each part represents a different portion of the system that allows for payments to be accepted. To enable POS credit card payments, you would enter your gateway account information into the POS section. Once you enter it and update it, the next time to access the POS system, you will see the additional Process Credit Card button at the bottom.
How to edit a sales transaction
The Edit Transactions link in the POS section allows you to edit or delete a sales transaction. When you click on the link, you can select a date range, a location (or all), and a customer (or all). Once you have made your selections and clicked on the List Transactions button, a list of all the transactions that meet your criteria will display.
To edit an individual transaction, click on the Edit button for the listed transaction. All of the invoice data will display. You can then edit specific parts of the invoice. To delete the entire invoice, click on the Delete Entire Invoice button.
How to work with open balances
If the payment amount for a transaction is less than the amount due, it will create an "open invoice" (a transaction with a balance due) in the system. The next time you process a POS transaction for the customer, you will see the open invoice display with the balance due. For each open invoice, you can enter an amount to be paid on that particular invoice. You can include payments for open invoices with another POS transaction or you can process them alone. Once you enter the amount you want to pay on an open invoice, you complete the transaction as you would any other POS transaction.
How to add tips to a transaction
To add a tip to a sales transaction, you must first create a product defined as a tip. When you are selecting items for a sales transaction, the tip product will display in its own drop down list. Once you select it, you can override the default amount with the appropriate tip amount. For purposes of sales reporting, tips are handled differently from products and services. They are not included in sales totals on sales reports. They are listed separately on sales reports.
Tips are in the product category of the POS system.
To enable tips:
- Click on the POS tab
- Click on Products on the left menu
- Click add new product
- Name the product tip, put cost as $0.00 (you will fill this in when you add it),and for Type select "tip".
- Click update to save.
Now, when you pay out an appointment, you will add the tip, by selecting it from the product drop down and entering the amount
How to sell Gift Certificates
To sell gift certificates via the POS system, you first need to create a product and define the product type as gift certificate. Products can be defined as one of four types: product, service, gift certificate or tip. Gift certificate products display in the Select Product drop down list in the POS system.
When you select a gift certificate product from the Select Product drop down list, in addition to allowing you to override the default cost and add a quantity, you can also enter in a gift certificate number. This would be used if you are using prenumbered gift certificates.
Near the bottom of the POS page, there is a "Create gift certificate in database?" checkbox. If you have it checked, it will create a gift certificate record in the database. If a gift certificate record is created, it allows you to look it up, edit it, and print it (if necessary). A scenario in which you would not check this box is if you previously created the gift certificate in the Gift Certificate section of site administration.
How to process a payment using a Gift Certificate
If you are not using the Gift Certificate feature of the system, processing a POS transaction with a gift certificate payment type is the same as processing a transaction with other payment types. But, if you do use the Gift Certificate module, everything would be the same until you get to the payment type selection part. Assuming you have a payment type of "Gift Certificate" set up, you would select that as your payment type. You would then enter the ID number (either the prenumbered number or the assigned number) on the gift certificate into the "If paying by gift certificate, enter number on gift certificate" field. If you don't know the number, you can click on the "lookup" link and search for the gift certificate. Once you do that, you can proceed in finalizing the transaction.
The reason for entering the gift certificate ID number is that the system will update the balance left on the gift certificate. So, if the amount of the gift certificate is more than the transaction amount, the system will record how much is left on the gift certificate. This balance and other information about the gift certificate can be found in the Gift Certificate section of Site Administration.
How to sell Packages
If you are using the Packages module and have at least one active package, a Select Package drop down list will display on the POS page. If you select a package as part of the sales transaction, you will see an "Add package to customer in database?" checkbox near the bottom of the page. It is checked off by default. If you leave it checked off, when you finalize the sales transaction, the system will assign that package to that customer. If you unselect that checkbox, it will process the sales transaction but will not assign the package to the customer. An example of when you would unselect the checkbox is if you had already assigned the package to the customer in the Packages section.
How to add new Products and Services
There are four types of "products" you can add to the POS system: products, services, gift certificates and tips. By default, any services you set up outside of the POS system (in the Services section of site administration), will automatically be pulled into the POS system and will display in the Select Service drop down list when creating a sales transaction. If for any reason you want to create your services as products in the POS system, you can disable this feature via a preference in the POS section of Preferences.
Here are explanations of some of the fields you enter when creating a product that typically need some clarification:
- Code (optional) - this is the UPC code or any other internal code you use for a product.
- Unit (optional - the unit in which the product is sold, such as "each" or "pack of 10".
- On Hand (optional) - this is the on-hand quantity of the item. It is decreased every time the item is purchased via a POS sales transaction.
- Category (optional) - you can put products into categories for reporting purposes. An example is a product called Shampoo in a category called Hair Care.
- Status - if the status is inactive, the product will not display when creating a sales transaction.
How to add Product Categories
When you setup a service, you can link a service category to it. To use this category, the POS module must be enabled as the service categories are defined under the POS tab. To add a service (product) category:
To complete adding a new category, you will need to enter a Description only, but you will also have an option to add a Parent category.
NOTE:These categories are relevant for reporting purposes and can also be used to filter the list of products when creating a new transaction.
How to add a Coupon
To create a coupon in the system, click on the Add New Coupon link in the POS section of Site Administration. Here is the information you would enter:
- Description - The description of the coupon, such as "20% off special".
- Code - The unique code of the coupon. The code would be used by customers when they are making an appointment. You first have to turn on a preference to display the Coupon Code field on the Customer View. This preference is in the Customer View section of Preferences. When a customer enters a coupon code, the system applies the discount to the amount due. This only applies if you are requiring customers to pay on the Customer View.
- Type - The type of the discount. There are two types:
- Flat Amount - a specific amount, such as $5
- Percent Off - a percent, such as 20%.
- Amount - The amount of the discount. If it's a Flat Amount coupon, you would enter the discount amount, such as "5.00" (meaning $5.00). If it's a Percent off type of coupon, you would enter the percent discount, such as "10" (meaning 10% off). For both of these types, there is no need to enter the currency or percent symbols when entering values.
- Start Date - The first date the coupon is valid. When you are processing a POS transaction, the coupon won't display in the Select Coupon drop down list unless the current date is equal to or greater than the Start Date.
- End Date - The final date the coupon can be used. Once this date is surpassed, the coupon will no longer display in the Select Coupon drop down in the POS system.
If a customer attempts to enter a coupon code on the Customer View, if the current date is outside of the start and end dates for the coupon, it will not apply the discount to their amount due.
How to add Payment Methods (Types)
To add a payment method, click on the Add New Payment Type link in the POS section of Site Administration. There are three fields on this page:
- Description - This is the description of the payment type. Examples include Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, Cash, Check, and Gift Certificate. If you are going to be processing credit cards through the system, be sure to individually specify each credit card type that you accept. Do not use a general term like "Credit Card."
- Type - The valid types are:
- Credit Card - If the payment method is a type of credit card, select this type. Doing this will ensure that when a credit card is entered for payment, the appropriate validation occurs.
- Gift Certificate - If you accept gift certificates and create a payment type of "Gift Certificate", assign it this type.
- Other - All other types of payment, such as check or cash.
- Allow Customers to See - This controls whether or not this payment type shows as a payment option for Customer View users. There may be certain payment methods that you don't want your customers to be able to select when making appointments, such as cash. If you set this value to "no", you will still be able to select it as a payment option in the POS section.
To view all existing payment types, click on the Payment Types link in the POS section. You can also access this link in the Lists section of Site Administration.
How to set up Sales Tax
To setup the tax rates for products, services, and packages - CLICK: POS tab > Tax Rates
NOTE: When processing a sales transaction, tax will only be calculated on those products or services denoted as being taxable.
How to run Sales Reports
To access the sales reports, click on the "Reports" tab at the top of Site Administration, and then select what type of sales report you would like to run. There are currently 2 types of sales reports available.
Sales Reports (Predefined)
You will see 5 report options:
- Daily Summary Sales Report
- Daily Summary Sales Report (by category)
- Daily Detailed Sales Report (by transaction and category)
- Daily Detailed Sales Report (by date and customer)
- Daily Detailed Sales Report (by rep and date)
Each report provides a different breakdown of the sales data.
To run a report, select a location from the Location drop down and a date range. Next, select the report type you would like to run, and then click on the "Run Report" button.
Sales Reports (Custom)
This report will alow you to filter and select what information you would like to included in the report.
To run a report, select a location from the Location drop down and a date range. Next, chose from the list of filters to filter the report results (If Applicable). Use the check boxes to select what information you would like to include in the report, and then click on the "Run Report" button.